Department Resources

General Information 

Aggie Enterprise

  • What is Aggie Enterprise?
  • Aggie Enterprise is a multiyear initiative to optimize business processes and adopt a system to support our financial, planning and business operations.

    This project involves the intersection of several distinct efforts:

    ♦ Creating consistency in our accounting structure and practices through a new Chart of Accounts (CoA).

    ♦ Meeting UC Office of the President reporting requirements

    ♦ Simplifying our fund structure and centralizing fund management through the Common Operating Fund Initiative (COFI).

    ♦ Configuring the Aggie Enterprise system, supported by Oracle Cloud Financials, to provide functionality currently supported by multiple systems and applications.

    More information can be found here.

  • Aggie Buy is going away with Aggie Enterprise - New System
  • The AggieEnterprise project, scheduled to go live at UC Davis in January 2024, will introduce a new catalog purchasing solution, provided by Oracle, that will replace the current AggieBuy platform. 

    Aggie Enterprise purchasing will still allow customers to process and complete catalog purchases from many of the same suppliers they currently use.

    Customers will also still be able to shop online, request will-call, and shop in-store at the AggieSupply stores (including Central Storehouse MRO Store, and Scientific and Chemistry Stores)

    Learn more about the changes with Aggie Enterprise here.

  • Faculty Resources
  • Faculty Forum Recording


    Faculty FAQ's


    Faculty Quick Reference Guide


    Faculty Fillable Form


Building Information

  • Business Office Schedule

    Summer 2024: Beginning the week of June 24 and through September 6, our Business Office (Ghausi 2001) will be open to the public on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays from 9 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 4 pm. The office will be operating virtually on Mondays and Fridays. Beginning the week of September 9, we will resume our regular academic year business hours (M-Th 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm; Virtual operations on Fridays). For after-hour inquiries, please email

    Fall 2024: Beginning September 9, the main office will be open for in-person business from Monday to Thursdays from 9 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 4 pm. The office will be operating virtually on Fridays. For after-hour inquiries, please email

  • Meeting Space & Room Reservations 
  • We recommend submitting reservation requests to to initiate meeting space reservations. For requests, please provide the date, time, title of the event, and how many people you expect to attend. If you have a specific room you would like to reserve, include that in the request as well, otherwise we can assist you in finding a room that meets your needs. All reservation policies can be found here. Information from Campus Ready about in-person events can be found here.

    You can check meeting space availability here before submitting your request via email.

    NEW SPACE UPDATE: Ghausi 2010 is a new meeting space (room capacity: 10) with Zoom capabilities.

    Summer 2024 Update: Beginning the week of June 24 through September 6, the divider wall in Ghausi 3102A/B will remain open. We will resume regular room scheduling for this space beginning the week of September 9.

    Guidelines for Reserving Spaces:
    Reservations can end no later than 8pm. For Ghausi 1007, room reservations can end no later than 8pm. All CEE rooms in Academic Surge (2205, 2206, & 2212) and Dean's Office rooms (Academic Surge 2022 & 2050; Kemper 1002, 1003, & 1007) are available from 8am-8pm.

    Ghausi 3102A/B Divider Wall (during regular academic year):
    The divider is closed on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This means that on those days you can reserve one side only, and there might be another person using the adjacent room. This allows us to accommodate more reservations as people return to campus. Any questions or concerns can be emailed to For instructions on how to use the Ghausi 3102 Zoom Room, please follow:

  • Mail and Packages
  • Mail Services delivers to the CEE office on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Typically this will include Central Storehouse orders, USPS, and Amazon packages. All of these deliveries will be taken to COE Receiving for pick up. FedEx and UPS packages are typically delivered daily to COE Receiving.

    Packages that are delivered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays can be picked up at Central Receiving/Mail Services at 615 Hopkins Rd. Pick up hours are 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm.

    COE Receiving is located at 1014-A Ghausi Hall and can be accessed outside from the courtyard. You can pick up packages there between 9am-12:30 and 1pm-3:00pm. 
  • Aggie Access FAQ- Bainer Hall 
  • Q: Who will have access to Bainer and Kemper?  

    A: Faculty (both buildings); Students/Researchers/Staff who currently work in Bainer and/or Kemper.  

    Q:  Who are the Department Key Control Managers?

    A:  Reuben Castelino and Jessica Hazard. Send a message via the AggieAccess "Contact Us" section for Aggie Access inquiries. 

    Q: What the role of a Key Control Manager?  

    A:  Provides access to department personnel who are in the AggieAccess system.  They can only grant access to personnel who are within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.  

    Q:  Who is receiving physical access cards vs downloading the phone app?  

    A:  During the initial implementation, access cards were created for faculty only.  All non-faculty authorized users were sent an email invitation to download the mobile app (sender is  You will have 21 days from the receipt of your invitation to download the app to your phone.  Information on setting up your AggieAccess mobile credential is available here.    

    Q: My invitation to download the app expired.  How do I request a new credential to download app?  

    A:  You can request a new invitation via the AggieAccess contact link.  Please include “Invitation has Expired” in the subject line of your email.  

    Q:  Can I request an access card instead of downloading and using the app?  

    A:  Students are granted mobile access only and can request an exception through 

    Q:  Will I still be able to use my physical key to enter the buildings?  

    A:  All physical keys should be returned and as will be rekeyed.                                                 

  • Aggie Access  - Ghausi Hall 
  • Many doors, including exterior and lab doors, require AggieAccess to open them. For building entry, keep in mind the building is open Monday – Friday from 7am – 7pm. If you will need access outside of those hours, or if you will be using lab space, you will need AggieAccess.

    How does access work?

    - To get AggieAccess, you need to request an AggieAccess credential. Fill out this form on the AggieAccess webpage. 

    The quickest and easiest form of access is a mobile credential. The mobile credential requires that you download the HID mobile app, but it only requires 24-72 hours to activate. After activation, the mobile app will allow you to enter any door that you have been granted access to. We encourage everyone to use a mobile credential rather than a physical card because there is less of a delay in processing.

    - Once you have requested your mobile credential, please visit the Mobile Credential How-to page. This webpage outlines what to expect after requesting your mobile credential.

    - Please check your spam folders when searching for the HID app email invitation. If it has been 72 hours since you submitted the credential request and you still have not received the email invitation, please email

    - During the transition to AggieAccess, all faculty and staff were issued a physical AggieAccess card. If you have not yet received your card from the main office and would like it, please stop by during our business hours to retrieve it. 

    - If you are a student and require access to a lab that uses AggieAccess: After you submit your request for AggieAccess credentials (you must do this first!), have your PI email to authorize you for access to the lab. This is to ensure that everyone has the proper security clearance for lab work.

    - Faculty/PIs - students will require authorization for access into labs. If one of your students needs AggieAccess to enter a lab, please email with their name and the labs that they need access to.

    Additional AggieAccess FAQs:

    Q:  Will I still be able to use my physical key to enter the buildings? 
    A:  The building will eventually be rekeyed.  We will contact you when it’s time to return building keys to the CEE Office. 

    Q:  Who are the Department Key Control Managers?
    A:  Reuben Castelino and Jessica Hazard.  All inquiries regarding access should be sent to

    Q:  What the role of a Key Control Manager? 
     A:  Provides access to department personnel who are in the AggieAccess system.  They will only grant access to CEE personnel who have completed the necessary onboarding and safety training.

    Q:  I am a student. Can I request a physical access card instead of a mobile credential? 
     A:   We strongly recommend that all students and most staff request a mobile credential rather than a physical access card. Access cards typically take 2-3 weeks to process and will need to be picked up from the UC Davis police department. Mobile credentials allow you access quicker and with less hassle than a physical card. 
    Q:  My invitation to download the app expired.  How do I request a new credential to download app?  
    A:  You can request a new invitation via the AggieAccess credential request page.
    Other questions?  Contact our Key Control Managers via    

  •  Code of Conduct
  • You agree to abide by the UC Davis Principles of Community: Please report any unsafe or suspicious activities to the department CAO Brooke Noonan.
  • Health and Safety
  • By gaining access to the building and department labs, you agree to participate in an annual safety training and abide by all department and university safety policies. For safety training information, please contact Jessica Hazard at

    In the event of an emergency alarm, lab users must quickly bring their work to a halt, cap any open chemical containers and leave the building by the nearest exit. The CEE Department meets outside the southwest corner of the building by the coffee hut. 

    In case of emergency, contact campus police and fire departments by calling 911 from a campus phone or 1 (530) 752-1234 from a cell phone. 

    In case of injury:

    ♦   Employees must seek medical attention immediately and contact employee or student health services if injured. The department office must be informed within 24 hours and Form III(b) must be filed.
    ♦   Student Health and Wellness Center: (530) 752-2300 -- Location on the corner of La Rue and Orchard Road
    ♦   Occupational Health Services: (530) 752-6051 -- Location:

    Safe exit procedures in case of emergency: Posted between rooms 3029 and 3031 Ghausi Hall.

    Additional safety information, forms and policies. 

  • Cal Aggie Escort
  • The campus provides safety escort service available 7 days a week, excluding major holidays and Summer Session I & II.  A Cal Aggie Host will provide free safety escort between campus locations and nearby residential areas:
  • Warn Me Alerts
  • Sign up for Warn Me alerts via your cell phone and/or email:

Purchasing & Reimbursements 

  • Shared Service Unit Purchasing
  • Aggie Enterprise COE Shared Svc-Purch & AP deadline dates for Departments
    In preparation for the Aggie Enterprise system cut over & go-live date on January 3, 2024, please see the following Shared Services-Purch & AP deadlines in order to meet the Supply Chain Management's deadlines.
    1. Glossary of Accounts Payable and Purchasing Terms:
    With any new system, there are terms with which to become familiar. This page includes terms used in the Aggie Enterprise supply chain module and what each of those terms means.
    2. Emergency Order Process During System Freeze link
    Navigate system downtime in November and December by using the Procurement Card for purchases under $10,000. Access AggieSupply Stores for in-store shopping and emergency requests beyond $10,000 can be handled by Procurement & Contracting Services.
    3. How to Guide 
    Supply Chain Resources and Training with how-to videos on Aggie Enterprise System Navigation, Setting Up Requisition Preference, and How to Window Shop.
  • How do I get reimbursed for travel, supplies, or entertainment expenses?
  • Reimbursements are processed by the COE Shared Service Center (COE-SSC) via PrePurchasing.

    There are three types of reimbursements: Travel, Entertainment, and Supply.


    Travel reimbursements are done for expenses incurred during university-related travel. To complete a travel reimbursement request:

    1. Fill out a travel reimbursement form with actual expenses incurred from the trip.
    2. Provide itemized paid receipts. Receipts are required for items that cost more than $75, but please try to provide receipts for all expenses
              •Missing required receipts over $75? Please fill out a Declaration of Lost Evidence Form and attach it to the payment request in PrePurchasing.
    3. Enter the request for reimbursement into the PrePurchasing System (OPP).
             •Refer to this link with instructions for entering a request in PrePurchasing:
    4. Upload the form and all receipts to the PrePurchasing request, and submit the request once done.
    5. The request will be reviewed and approved by a department approver and account manager. Once approved, the request will be routed Shared Services Purchasing & AP.
    6. Shared Services Purch & AP will then initiate the reimbursement in AggieTravel. The requestor will be notified by email to log into AggieTravel, review the reimbursement report, and submit it for final review and payment.


    Entertainment reimbursements are done for expenses incurred while hosting a university-affiliated and approved event. For more information about what types of entertainment expenses are allowable, visit Supply Chain Management's Entertainment webpage. To complete an entertainment reimbursement request:

    1. Fill out an entertainment request form.
    2. Provide receipts. If the charges are over $75, an itemized receipt is required.
              •Missing required receipts over $75? Please fill out a Declaration of Lost Evidence Form and attach it to the payment request in PrePurchasing.
    3. Provide a list of attendees.
              •If your event had 10 attendees or less, a list of attendees by name and occupation is required to be submitted with the request. If your event had more than 10 attendees, a list is not required to be submitted along with the request but it may be needed for later approval.
    4. Enter the request for reimbursement into the PrePurchasing System (OPP).
              •Refer to this link with instructions for entering a request in PrePurchasing:
    5. Attach the form, any receipts, and a list of attendees to the PrePurchasing request and submit the request once done.
    6. The request will be reviewed and approved by a department approver and account manager. Once approved, the request will be routed Shared Services Purchasing & AP for processing.
    7. Shared Services Purch & AP will then initiate the reimbursement in AggieTravel. The requestor will be notified by email to log into AggieTravel, review the reimbursement report, and submit it for final review and payment.


    Supply reimbursements are done for expenses incurred while purchasing supplies for university-affiliated activities. The limit per supply reimbursement is $499.99; if your reimbursement exceeds that amount you will need a confirming order form and approval from the dean of the College of Engineering. To complete a supply reimbursement request:

    1. Fill out a supply reimbursement request form.
    2. Provide receipts. Original receipts are required.
              •Missing required receipts over $75? Please fill out a Declaration of Lost Evidence Form and attach it to the payment request in PrePurchasing.
    3. Enter the request for reimbursement into the PrePurchasing System (OPP).
              •Refer to this link with instructions for entering a request in PrePurchasing:
    4. Attach the reimbursement form along with receipts and submit once done.
    5. The request will be reviewed and approved by a department approver and account manager. Once approved, the request will be routed Shared Services Purchasing & AP for processing.

    All purchases, with the exception of “emergency” items needed immediately for teaching or research purposes, should be initiated in PrePurchasing and processed through the COE-SSC and not by using personal funds with the intent of being reimbursed.

    In order to ensure we are efficiently following purchasing and supply reimbursement guidelines, all reimbursement requests for expenses that are incurred out-of-pocket should be submitted as soon as possible.

    Please limit out-of-pocket purchases to emergencies. Employee reimbursement requests are considered high-risk transactions and may not be approved.

    Itemized receipts must be provided to the business office showing proof of payment

    Computer and IT purchases must be pre-approved by the COE IT team. 

    If you have any questions or would like the department to assist you in submitting a reimbursement request, email
  • What form do I use for my reimbursements? 
  • All reimbursement forms are linked in the 'How do I get reimbursed?' section.  

    For travel: Travel Reimbursement Form
    For entertainment: Entertainment Reimbursement Form
    For supplies: Supply Reimbursement Form
  • How do I buy something?
  • Department guidelines for purchasing goods OR services can be found at this link.

    PIs, and their approved delegates, initiate the orders in Prepurchasing for routing to the COE Shared Service Center (COE-SSC) for processing.  Financial approval is necessary for each order and will be completed by the associated research administrator.  The research administrator is responsible for reviewing the budget information and confirming that the item seems reasonable for the project. 

    If you need access to Prepurchasing, please have your faculty sponsor contact their assigned research administrator.

    Please note that a a unique order is required for each vendor, do not combine orders for multiple vendors. 

    While the business purpose is not a required field, the PI is responsible for knowing the justification for purchases charged to an extramural account and will need to provide this information in the event of an audit.  It is strongly advised that the business purpose field be completed, referencing the benefit to the project for orders on extramural accounts.

    Once an item is delivered, it is your responsibility to mark the order “received” in PrePurchasing for audit compliance.

    Scenarios that are not processed in Prepurchasing:
    •    Request for service such as editing, indexing, and transcription must be reviewed by campus Contracting Services. This can take 4-6 weeks. Please do not pay out of your pocket for these expenses.
    •    Payments for work, such as research assistants, must be processed through payroll. Absolutely no work should be completed by the prospective employee before the person has signed employment paperwork. 

  • How do I use PrePurchasing (OPP) to submit a purchasing request?
  • Instructions for filling out a purchasing order request in PrePurchasing can be found here.

    Please note: You have to have an active account in PrePurchasing to be able to submit orders. To become an approved purchasing delegate, please contact your faculty sponsor or supervisor's department representative.
  • Unauthorized Purchasing
  • An unauthorized purchase is one where a purchase is made on behalf of the university without the appropriate approvals being secured first. Please check here for more information. 
  • How do I set up a fabrication?
  • Campus guidelines on fabrications are located here
    Please contact Daret Kahlet before completing any fabrication paperwork.
    Prior to the purchasing, two initial steps must be completed:
    1.  Confirm your planned fabrication meets the campus criteria to qualify as an equipment fabrication.
    2.  Complete the fabrication justification form and send to your research administrator.

    Be sure to list the fabrication number on each purchase that you make in Prepurchasing. When a fabrication is completed, the final cost, completion date, and a list of fabrication transactions must be sent to Equipment Management. 

    For any other changes to your fabrication, including transferring to new award or project, contact your account manager.

  • How can I send something via FedEx?
  • Please email the CEE business office with details of package such as destination address, dimensions of package, weight, speed of shipment, and account number to charge. 
  • How do I have my reimbursement direct deposited?
  • If you are a student, visit this website.

    If you are an employee, please visit UCPath for more information.  Direct Deposit for employee reimbursements is now managed in UCPath.

  • How do I order equipment? 
  • All orders are submitted via Prepurchasing

    Equipment orders should include an Equipment Eligibility checklist.  

    Please be aware that international orders may have additional restrictions required by sponsors.  Please discuss all international equipment orders with your research administrator.

    The custodial codes for equipment orders are 3973 for research and 3972 for department/instruction.

  • Where do I send an invoice for payment?
  • If an invoice is received at the department, please send it directly to the campus AP Invoicing service. It can be sent via intercampus mail or by email
    Invoices submitted for payment should include the purchase order number and approving PI/faculty signature. Please also be sure to receive item in Prepurchasing for audit compliance.
  • Training: 10/04 Purchasing & Reimbursement Session
  • Hosts: Stephanie Farver, Fatima Garcia, Gregory Zebouni

    Session Description: Overview of Purchasing, Travel & Entertainment, and Reimbursements in CEE. Review of policies and procedures. Introduction to AggieBuy, PrePurchasing, and AggieExpense systems.

    Please view the recorded session here:


  • What are the per diem rates?
  • Per diem rates set by the US General Services Administration can be found at here.
  • I will be traveling. How do I make reservations and charge expenses directly to my award?
  • Comprehensive travel information can be found on the UC Davis Travel & Entertainment website. 

    Travelers should use AggieTravel whenever possible or use their UC Davis Travel Card.  This is a US Bank credit card that is issued against the University’s credit and can be used for any travel or entertainment expense such as registration fees, lodging, meals, airfare, etc. It generally takes about 7-10 business days for processing. Additional information about the program is located Using the card will reduce your out-of-pocket expenses.

    Travel expenses charged directly through AggieTravel, ConnexUC, or the UC Davis Travel Card will still require a completed reimbursement form to be submitted in PrePurchasing or via AggieTravel.  
    •    Remember to submit receipts and travel reimbursement forms to the business office within 45 days to avoid late fees and penalties.
    •    Expense reports submitted after 60 days of the trip or event end date will be reported as taxable income to the employee.              

    Additional resources for flights, rental cars, and lodging can be found at ConnexUC

  • My student will be traveling, how can their travel expenses be applied directly to my award?
  • Student travel can be arranged using AggieTravel, ConnexUC or with payment from a faculty/mentor UC Davis Travel Card.  Please remember that traveler will need complete travel reimbursement forms to clear charges after travel.
    •    Remember to submit receipts and travel reimbursement forms to the business office within 45 days to avoid late fees and penalties.
    •    Expense reports submitted after 60 days of the trip or event end date will be reported as taxable income to the employee.   
  • I will be traveling internationally, what do I need to know?
  • All international trips must be registered with UC Away prior to the trip's start, regardless of whether you will be requesting reimbursement.

    Register your trip here.  Please include a copy of your trip registration email when submitting any travel reimbursements, as it contains a code necessary for processing.

  • What forms do I use for reimbursement?
  • The most up to date forms can be found at the College Intranet. For specific instructions on filling out a travel reimbursement form, please see here. Any additional questions can be directed to
  • What are the expense limits for travel and entertainment reimbursements?
  • For more in-depth information on allowable entertainment expenses, please visit the supply chain management website.

    Meal reimbursement for Travel under 30 days within the lower 48 states is now capped at $79 per day of travel (previously $62).

    The maximum meal rates for entertainment and business meeting meals are as follows:
    Breakfast: $31 (previously $28)
    Lunch: $54 (previously $49)
    Dinner: $94 (previously $85)
    Light refreshments: $22 (previously $20)
    These amounts include the cost of food and beverages, labor, sales tax, service, and delivery charges, but not any room or equipment rentals.

Computers and Technology Access and Assistance

  • Computer Lab Use, Access and Security
  • The CEE Department provides computer facilities for use by its graduate students:  Ghausi 3032 and Ghausi 3034. All labs require keycard for access. The computer labs in Ghausi Hall are designated for use by Civil & Environmental Engineering graduate students and by students enrolled in certain Civil & Environmental Engineering classes only. Please do not provide access to anyone who has not been issued an access card. The card provides security against theft and personal safety for the users of the lab. Non-compliance could result in losing your access privileges. 

    Adhere to UC Davis Computer and Network Use Policy, including refraining from transmitting or reproducing material that is copyrighted, slanderous, defamatory in nature, displaying obscene, lewd or sexually harassing images or text. Web sites that allow downloading of copyright material have user agreements specifying how the site and material can be used. It is your responsibility to read and understand the agreement. If you do not adhere to the agreement, the department can be denied access to those sites.

    For example: The ASCE site allows journal downloads. You are not allowed to download more than one or two documents and strictly prohibits “systematic downloads.” We have had students download multiple copies of journal articles and the 
    campus was restricted from using that site until the student was identified and put under judicial review. 

    Please read the following documents. Failure to abide by these policies can result with an investigation by Student Judicial Affairs. If you are unable to access these documents via the internet, they are posted between rooms 3029 and 3031 Ghausi Hall.
  • Electronic Communications 
  • ♦   Allowable Use:
    ♦   Privacy and Access:
  • Guidelines for Compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
  • ♦
  • Printer Use
  • Each student is given a print quota of 100 pages per quarter. The only way to extend your print quota is to request it from your advisor. You cannot print copyright material.
  • Files and Storage
  • Files stored on lab systems can be removed without warning. There is a small amount of disk space available on your account. This is not designed for permanent storage of your files. The recommended service is your account provided by campus ( Please be aware that you are responsible for your own backups.
  • IT/Computer Assistance
  • ♦   For computer repair or technology assistance, please submit a service ticket at the UC Davis Service Hub or email
    ♦   For software information, check out IT Shared Services Software and Business Systems.
  • General Reminders and Information
  • ♦   Ultimately you are responsible to know if the information you are printing or downloading is protected in any way. Please make sure you read and understand the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and know each policy of the web sites you visit (example: ASCE publications downloads).

    ♦   It is recommended that you review UC Davis Ergonomics and UC Davis Ergonomics and Body Mechanics Program for ergonomic information, training and evaluations.

    ♦   The department maintains a series of mailing lists to communicate to faculty, staff, researcher, students and affiliates. Please email with your name, title and department affiliation to be added to the appropriate list. 
  • Computer Committee Expenditure Guidelines
  • Guidelines
    ♦   These previously informally applied guidelines were formalized by the Committee in 12/02.
  • Faculty Website Updates
  • To update a faculty COE webpage please visit this webpage. This should lead you to a login page, where then you'll be able to update your page. This page can be bookmarked for easy access in the future. 

Academic Personnel

  • Voting Procedures & Protocols
  • Procedures
    ♦   Reviewed by CEE and approved by CAP, 10/99
    ♦   Revised and approved June 2023

    Protocol for Merit/Promotion Actions
    ♦   Approved by Department based on ad hoc committee recommendation, 10/2/02
    ♦   Revised and approved April 2021

    Protocol for the Election of Department Rep. to College Executive Committee
    ♦   Approved by Department based on ad hoc committee recommendation, 10/2/02
  • Academic Federation Appointment and Review Process
  • Process
    ♦   Original approved version, 9/02
    ♦   Modified to include appointment process, 3/03
    ♦   Modified in response to comments of AFPC and C. Richardson, 10/04
  • Instructional Workload Course Guidelines
  • College of Engineering IWC Guidelines
    Sample Instructional Workload Policy [Under Construction]
  • Peer Evaluation of Teaching
  • Evaluation
    ♦   Developed and approved by Department as per required by merit and promotion guidelines, 1994
  • Scholarship Criteria for Evaluation of Faculty Performance
  • Criteria
    ♦   Approved guidelines developed and approved by Department, 12/02
  • Criteria for Excellence in Teaching for Initial and Continuing Post-Six Year Appointment of Non-Senate Faculty (NSF) (Unit 18 Members)
  • Criteria
    ♦   Required by campus, criteria developed and approved by Department, 10/04
    ♦   Sent to COE for approval, 10/04
  • Leave of Absence Request
  • ♦   Faculty Request for Leave of Absence

    Additional Leave Information:

Visa and Immigration Forms

  • What type of visas can the department assist in processing?
  • The department contact can assist in processing J-1 and H-1B visas. If your student has an F-1 visa or OPT they should work with SISS directly.
  • What type of visa should I request if I want to invite a visiting scholar?
  • The H-1B visa is an employment based-visa. This should only be requested if you are offering a position that will be entered into payroll. Please note the minimum processing time is 5 months from the time the application is submitted to SISS. 
    The J-1 visa can be used for short-term visits under three months and for longer visits up to five years. The requirements can be viewed here.
  • How early do I need to request a visa?
  • H-1B visas can take several months to process so SISS may require premium processing. It is recommended to plan for two weeks to one month for collecting the information for the application and then a minimum of five months from the date the visa application is submitted to SISS. An H-1B scholar/employee cannot work until the approval is received so it is recommended to start the process early. 

    It is recommended to submit J-1 applications to SISS at least three months prior to the anticipated program start date. SISS may come back to us once we submit the DS-2019 request and require that we change the start date if it is not feasible.

    You can check embassy appointment availability here.
  • What is the process for inviting a visiting scholar?
  • Email or cc Sylvia Liu at immediately to start discussion about inviting the scholar, as processing times differ depending on the scholar's citizenship and the Visa appointment wait time at the US Embassy they will go to.

    If you know which visa you would like to request you will need to (1) fill out the internal form (Visiting Scholar/Post Doc), (2) obtain signatures from your account manager, (3) complete the invitation letter, and (4) email to initiate the visa process. 

    If you do not know what visa or have questions about funding for your scholar, please reach out to Sylvia Liu directly.
  • How do I extend/renew the visa?
  • The scholar or the PI should reach out to Sylvia Liu to explore visa renewal. H-1B visa renewal should be started five to six months before the end date. J-1 visas should be submitted one month before the end date. 

    Visa renewals incur recharge fees as the initial visa and the H-1B requires the UCSIS processing fee as well.

    Note (4/1/24): J-1 Visas currently have a $727 recharge fee.
  • How much will the visa cost?
  • Check here for current recharge fees and UCSIS fees.

    Note: Regarding J-1 Visas, the Recharge fee is nonrefundable whether the scholar acquires their Visa or not.
  • How much funding will my visiting scholar need?
  • J-1 scholars need to prove $2200/month in funding through either scholarship/grants, employment, or personal/family funds, plus applicable additional amounts for a spouse and children.

    If the J-1 scholar is an Undergraduate, 50% of their funding has to come from a source other than personal, which could include their home institution or an international scholarship. SISS can not issue the DS-2019 if the undergraduate does not have the other source of funding.

    Please inquire with Sylvia Liu at for more details about scholar funding. 

    H-1B scholar applications need to provide a salary scale and justification to confirm the wages are at or above the local prevailing wage for the position. 
  • Are there any policies I should be familiar with?
  • Policy/Sample Letter
    ♦   Policy was voted upon November 18, 2005 by the CEE faculty.

Hiring, Payroll, & Human Resources

  • How do I hire a GSR? 
  • Graduate Student Researcher hires can be noted on your quarter student support requests sent out by your research administrator.  If you want to hire an additional GSR or make changes to an existing GSR appointment after you have submitted your student support request, please contact your research administrator.  Please note that due to HR and UCPath deadlines, processing times have increased.
  • How do I hire a student assistant?
  • To hire a student assistant, please provide your research administrator with:

    ∙ the student's name
    ∙  email
    ∙  working dates
    ∙  FTE (effort level)
    ∙  description of job duties
    ∙  minimum qualifications
    ∙  Student Assistant level
    ∙  pay rate

    For information on determining the student assistant level, please visit this website for descriptions and this website for the student assistant salary scale. Please note that student assistants may not begin work until they have been cleared to do so by AUSS-C.

  • How do I hire a post-doc?
  • To hire a postdoctoral scholar, complete the Postdoc Request Form, here and return it to your research administrator. Financial analysts are responsible for coordinating the initial appointment and any renewal appointments for postdocs. This includes preparing the appointment package, routing for approval through the Dean’s Office and Grad Studies, and ticket submission to AUSS-C. General campus guidelines regarding postdoctoral scholar appointments can be found here.

    (1) Financial Analyst prepares Postdoc Offer Letter in collaboration with the faculty sponsor.
    (2) Route to College for approval
    (3) Gather signatures from the Scholar, PI, and Department Chair
    (4) Submit ticket to AUSS-C for onboarding, benefits information, payroll questions

    Postdoctoral scholars will work with Sylvia Liu at for any visa needs.  

    Additional FAQs regarding postdoc appointments can be found here

  • How much can I pay a post-doc?
  •  You can find the post-doc compensation plan here. 
    ♦   These policies were the product of an administrative request from Graduate Studies.
    ♦   Sent to COE for approval, 10/04. Campus guidelines for Postdoctoral students located at
  • How do I hire another type of employee?
  • Please reach out to Brooke Noonan to discuss hiring another type of employee.  If you have any questions regarding allowability or funding of the new position please contact your research administrator.
  • Who can answer my general human resource questions?
  • For general human resource questions, please reach out to Brooke Noonan.
  • When can my employee start working?
  • Employees cannot begin working until AUSS-C verifies receipt of the I-9.
  • How do I enroll in/update my direct deposit? 
  • To sign-up or make changes to your payroll direct deposit, please visit UCPath (
  • If I don't get paid, who should I contact?
  • Please check back later. For now, contact Sylvia Liu ( and she can redirect you to the correct sources.
  • How do I initiate a visa?
  • Visa requests should be initiated by completing the correct scholar or postdoc form, obtaining signatures, and forwarding to Sylvia Liu at They will work with SISS on the request. Visa renewals should be initiated by the scholar and are processed by CEE-Main Office.

    The department only covers visa costs for faculty hires.  Visas for postdocs and visiting scholars need to be directly charged to the faculty sponsor’s account. There is an option to ask the visiting scholar or postdoc to reimburse the faculty sponsor.

  • Volunteer Forms
  • ♦   Volunteer Form
    ♦   Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement

Proposals & Awards

  • What campus resources are available to help me with writing my proposal?
  • The Office of Research Interdisciplinary Research Support (IRS) team offers support with the preparation of grant proposals for large-scale interdisciplinary research programs. They also frequently offer workshops on topics related to grantsmanship.  Please visit the IRS website for more information.

    The UC Davis Office of Research also offer proposal development resources including templates for some proposal components.

  • Where can I find institutional information?
  • Institutional information can be found on Sponsored Programs website
  • Who can help me with effort reporting?
  • The Effort Reporting System and basic Effort Reporting information can be found here.  For questions and assistance with effort reports requiring your certification, please reach out to your research administrator.

    Please note that effort certification is required for audit purposes and the project Principal Investigator is responsible for certifying effort on their projects.

  • I want to submit a proposal, what do I do? 
  • Once you have identified a funding opportunity for which you would like to apply, please send a copy of the RFP to your research administrator for review.  They will follow-up with you to discuss your proposal and develop a timeline for submission.

    Please keep in mind UC Davis Sponsored Programs (SPO) requires a minimum of five business days to review proposals prior to submission.

    Please prepare to provide your research administrator with the following info:
    •  Link to RFP 
    •  Proposal due date
    •  Beginning and end dates of the proposed project
    •  Any additional PI's be listed on the grant (if more than one), and their colleges/departments
    •  If you are considering subcontracts/sub-awards, please provide the administrative contact
    •  If UCD is the subaward, contact information for Prime award administrator
    •  Senior Personnel (names and departments)
    •  Contact information for outgoing subawards
    •  Required cost sharing, if any
    •  Preliminary budget information: PI effort, other personnel, supplies, travel (domestic/foreign), equipment

  • What is costshare?
  • Please see UC Davis Sponsored Programs's Guidance on Proposals with Costshare for descriptions of commitment types and UC policies related to cost share.

    For proposals that do not include cost sharing, avoid using the following terms which can suggest a cost share commitment:
    ∙  Cost sharing
    ∙  Sharing
    ∙  Matching
    ∙  In-kind
    ∙  Donate
    ∙  Commit (when including a dollar amount or percentage of time)
    ∙  Allocate (when including a dollar amount or percentage of time)
    ∙  Volunteer
    ∙  Support at no cost

  • Will my award allow that? 
  • Always contact your account manager regarding expense allowability.  Common sponsor policies can be found below, however awards may have specific conditions described in the award terms and conditions beyond these policies.

    National Science Foundation - The most recent Proposal & Awards Policies & Procedure Guidelines (PAPPG) can be found along with Significant Changes and FAQs. 
    FDP Matrix - Prior approval matrix for several federal agencies. 
    University Terms & Conditions - Included as part of state contracts. 

  • What services can my RA provide?
  • Our office is happy to help CEE faculty, grad students, postdocs, and researchers with managing the life-cycles of their awards. From pre-proposal to closeout, we offer a variety of services to assist with securing intra- and extra-mural funding for your projects. 
    Financial Analysts are generally responsible for:
    •    drafting the budget and budget justification as directed by PIs
    •    assisting with uploading proposal documents into submission systems 
    •    assisting with proposal entry into Cayuse SP
    •    coordinate with Sponsored Programs Office and/or Graduate Studies
    Financial analysts are responsible for providing financial and administrative management of extramural projects including:
    •    Coordination of effort reports
    •    Monitor cost-share commitments and reporting
    •    Communication with SPO/Grad Studies, CGA, and Sponsor as needed
    We are responsible for assisting with close-out of extramural awards. 
  • How do I set up a service agreement? 
  • Please visit to determine if the request may be set us as a service agreement.  
    To process you will need to provide the appropriate documentation listed at to your research administrator for processing in KFS.

    A reminder that only contracting services or SPO can sign agreements.

  • Who can help with my sponsor annual/quarterly reports?
  • Contact your research administrator to obtain any financial or personnel data needed to complete your sponsor required reports. 
    Please click here for more information. 
  • I received notice of an audit, who do I contact? 
  • Contact the External Audit Coordination Team and your research administrator right way.  If you are unsure in the sponsor's request is an audit, reach out to the External Audit Coordination Team to discuss. 

    The External Audit Coordination Team can be emailed with specific questions. For additional information, visit this website

  • Conducting research outside the US?
  • UC Davis Sponsored Programs has provided guidance regarding International Relationship and Activities.  Here you will find information on Steps to Ensure Compliance, Disclosure Requirements, Financial Conflicts of Interest, and Export Control Compliance.

    As foreign activity has become more heavily scrutinized, please remember that any foreign research activity must be reported and some sponsors may require advance approval of foreign activities.

  • Proposal Submission Form and Budget Justification Template
  • Form and Template