Teaching Assistant Information
The Support Call for Civil and Environmental Engineering TA/Reader/Tutor positions generally opens around the start of the term prior to the term you are applying for
- Fall 2023 (Due 7/26/2023)
- Winter 2024 (Check Back around the end of Sept)
- Spring 2024 (Check back around the start of Jan)
All CEE students should automatically receive the Support Call email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “IPA: Support Call has started” and that includes a link called “View Support Call”.
- To apply for a TA/Reader
- Please follow the link in the Support Call email. You will need to:
1. Eligibility Section:
- Confirm your eligibility
- Use the drop down to select how you meet the Language Proficiency requirement
2. Select your preferences for courses you want to TA/Read for. Use the comments section next to each course preference to make any course specific comments for the faculty to view. Order your preferences appropriately (1 being first preference)
3. Complete the “Teaching Qualification” box to indicate any general teaching qualifications you want to note (optional, and no more than 1 paragraph needed)
4. Comments section: please use this if you want to apply for a Graduate Tutor – see below.
5. Click to submit on the right side of the page. You can use the email link again and make updates to your application as needed prior to the Support Call Deadline
- To apply for a Graduate Tutor
- A graduate tutor works with individual students or small groups of students to assist them in their learning. Material covered may be topical in nature or related to a specific course. Tutors may keep regularly scheduled drop-in hours for student consultation and tutoring. Tutors do not grade tests, papers or other student assignments and do not work under the direct supervision of a faculty member. If you are interested in applying to be a tutor, please indicate your interest in the "general comments" section of the Support Call, and list the course(s) you would be comfortable being a tutor for.
- Non-CEE Students
- Please email Lauren at email@example.com to be added to the Support Call prior to the deadline for the quarter listed above. Please understand that we do prioritize the hiring of all CEE students, and therefore rarely hire outside of our department.
It is highly recommended you apply for TA and Reader positions with other departments. You can look for position listings in Handshake, or check individual departments' websites for more information on how to apply for TA and Reader positions with other departments. Our students have been hired in other departments -- math, physics, statistics, chemistry, biology and design -- as well as various departments in the humanities and social sciences depending on that student's background.
All students must complete the TA Orientation to be hired as a TA. The TA Orientation for Fall 2023 is now open, please register to attend here. Civil and Environmental Engineering students will attend the TA Orientation on Monday.
TA Language Proficiency Requirement
Be sure to check out the International and Academic English website about how to fulfill the Language Proficiency Requirement.
Some of our own Graduate Students also made this outstanding video: How to Master the First Day of Instruction as a Teaching Assistant.
- Sumeet Kumar Sinha, PhD Candidate, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Patrick C. Bassal, PhD Student, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Brian Morales, Masters Student, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Chanh Nguyen, PhD Student, Chemical Engineering