Civil and Environmental Engineering
Assistant Professor Martinez’s research aims to further the understanding of soil behavior and soil-structure interaction to develop efficient solutions for geotechnical and infrastructure challenges. The research performed by Granular Materials Laboratory uses experimental (i.e. laboratory, centrifuge, and field) and numerical (i.e. DEM) techniques to link behaviors at the macro-and particle-scales.Martinez strongly encourage collaboration, often engaging in interdisciplinary research such as bio-inspired engineering design. This research is currently being implemented into geotechnical applications such as deep foundations, site characterization, earth retaining structures, and geosynthetics.
Awards & Honors
- 2018-2019 UC Davis Hellman Fellow
- Goizueta Fellow at Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia Tech
- Jean-Lou Chameau Research Excellence Award, Georgia Tech
- George F. Sowers Distinguished Ph.D. Student Award, Georgia Tech
- International Student Leadership Award, Georgia Tech.