- Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Kavvas’ areas of specialization include mathematical modeling of the integrated hydrologic-atmospheric processes at global, continental, country and watershed scales for the simulation and prediction of hydrologic water balances toward quantifying phenomena such as floods and droughts; mathematical modeling of hydrologic processes at regional, watershed and hillslope scales; investigations on the mathematical modeling of contaminant transport by inland surface waters, unsaturated flow and groundwater flow, and physical hydraulic modeling of environmental fluid flows.
Awards & Honors
- 2019 Distinguished Member, ASCE
- 2016 Croess Medal, ASCE
- 2016 Best Paper, ASCE JHE
- 2015 International Award from The Japan Society of Hydrology and Water Resources
- 2014 The Advisory Committee Climate Services Award from CA DWR, November, 2014
- 2014 Distinguished Professor, University of California, Davis, July 2014- Gerald and Lillian Orlob Endowed Chair Professor of Water Resources Engineering
- 2009 ASCE Ven Te Chow Award (The highest honor that can be bestowed by American Society of Civil Engineers to a Hydrologic Engineer)
- 2009 Ven Te Chow Award Lecturer, ASCE
- 2008 ASCE Fellow
- 2006 ASCE/EWRI JHE Best paper award
- 2001 ASCE Arid Lands Hydraulic Engineering Award
- 1999 ASCE Richard Torrens Award
- Listed in American Men and Women of Science.